1049 N. Kingshighway Street
Cape Girardeau, MO, 63701
The Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Cape Girardeau, Missouri was founded in 1942, following the 7 December 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. Post #3838 was named after Seaman Second Class Lloyd Dale Clippard, who was killed in action aboard the USS Utah. SC2 Clippard was born and raised in Cape Girardeau before joining the U.S. Navy and was stationed at Pearl Harbor just a few short months before the attack.
In the afternoon of September 21st 1942, the installation ceremonies were held for the “Lloyd Dale Clippard” Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars at the Security Hall located at Broadway and Pacific Streets in Cape Girardeau. George Payne, then the Missouri VFW state commander, mustered in the post for the first time. Installed as the first commander of Post 3838 was Arthur Wellington Adams, a veteran of five of the deadly campaigns during World War I. Along with the new commander were 35 other veterans who took the VFW obligation.
On November 18, 1985, the post was renamed to also honor the first Cape Girardeau casualties of the Korean and Vietnam conflicts. Post 3838 became the “Clippard-Wilson-Taylor” Post, which honors Richard Gene Wilson, who was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions in Korea, as well as Robert Lee Taylor Jr., a member of Post 3838 who was killed in Vietnam.
In the following decades, Post 3838 and its Auxiliaries have provided extensive support in the Cape Girardeau area thru a wide variety of programs and volunteer efforts. Assisting veterans in need, fostering and promoting patriotism, teaching flag etiquette, donating flags, mentoring and sponsoring youth programs and organizations, and supporting emergency services are just a few of the ongoing activities Post and Auxiliary members participate in.
In September 2017, Post 3838 was recognized before the U.S. House of Representatives for 75 years of serving veterans and the community.
Through all of the changes in society that have occurred since its founding in 1942, the Clippard Wilson Taylor, Post 3838 has continued to support and assist our community as well as live the national headquarters, Veterans of Foreign Wars, motto:
“No One Does More to Help Veterans”